Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Illuxcon Journal: Final Days

Late entry to explain some of the last of our days of Illuxcon 2010:

Five portfolio reviews later, I have a refreshed direction on continuing to aim for a job in art. I have many directions I could take, but for now I shall settle for concept art. Fortunately, I've found my need for narrative to be satiated by Art Order's frequent challenges. While my narrative skills and general critical eye are immature, I have enough friends and master examples to point me in the right direction.

The artists made the convention: Tom Kuebler, Justin Gerrard, Mike Sass, Aaron Miller, Marc Fishman, Chris Burdett, Peter Morbacher, Katie McElroy, Chris Hayes, Lucas Graciano, Ralph Horsley, Jon Schindehette, Jeremy Cranford, et al brought much insight into my life. It was also a pleasure to be reminded that all of them are indeed humans with emotions and needs. Yes, even the excellent artists!

The lectures were probably more entertaining than they were supposed to be. Even talking about finances and art agents was a hoot! Between the lectures and my 'folio reviews I scribed down pages and pages of little life lessons. Ah, to be a young student!

In closing, my sympathies go out to any art student that couldn't attend. This was right up there with SIGGRAPH on my list of highlights. I can't wait to get a table next year—my friends and I are going to hog a good quarter of that convention space next year!

1 comment:

Sara Wilson said...

Yes we are!! (the table)
This was a pleasure to read.